Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English. I’m Neil.

大家好,欢迎来到六分钟英语,我是尼尔。

This is the programme where in just six minutes we discuss an interesting topic and teach some related English vocabulary.

在这六分钟内我们会讨论一个有趣的主题,并教授一些相关的英语词汇。

Joining me to do this is Rob.

和我搭档的是罗伯。

Hello.

大家好。

Now Rob, we know your main job is to work here at BBC Learning English but do you have a second job?

罗伯,我们知道你主要的工作是在BBC英语教学,但你有第二份工作吗?

There’s no time for two jobs Neil, but if there was, I think I’d take photographs and sell them.

没有时间打两份工,尼尔,但是如果有的话,我想我会拍照,卖照片。

I do love photography so I might as well make some money from it.

我确实喜欢摄影,所以我也许会从中赚钱。

Good thinking, Rob!

想法不错,罗伯!

And having a second job, particularly one that involves using your skills and allows you to follow your interests, is called a side hustle.

第二份工作,特别是涉及到利用你的技能并允许你追随自己兴趣的工作,被称为一种副业。

Yes, a side hustle.

是的,一种副业。

It’s something more and more of us are involved with these days.

现在我们越来越多地参与其中。

And that’s what we’ll be talking about shortly.

这就是我们马上将谈论的内容。

Well, my side hustle should be quiz master, because I’m always asking questions and today is no exception.

好吧,我的副业应该是测试大师,因为我总是在提问题,今天也不例外。

According to the employee ratings website Glassdoor, which job is thought to be the best to have in the UK this year?

据员工评级网站Glassdoor,今年哪个职位被认为是英国最好的工作?

Is it… a) a software engineer b) a teacher, or c) an audit manager?

是……a)软件工程师,b)老师,还是c)审计经理?

Hmm, well, I suspect b) a teacher.

嗯,好吧,我猜是b)老师。

Well, you’ll have to wait until the end of the programme to find out.

好吧,你必须要等到节目结束才能找到答案。

But let’s talk more about side hustles – or a second job.

但是让我们更多地讨论一下副业——或者第二份工作。

For some people having two jobs is a necessity – a way to make ends meet.

对一些人来说,有两份工作是必要的——一种令收支平衡的方法。

That means ‘having just enough money to pay for the things you need’.

这意味着“只有支付所需东西那么多钱”。

That’s true but it now seems that more people want to put their skills and passions into practice to make extra money.

那是真的,但现在似乎更多的人想要将他们的技能和激情付诸实践以赚取额外的收入。

According to research by Henley Business School, around one in four workers run at least one side-hustle business, half of which were started in the past two years.

根据亨利商学院的研究,大约四分之一的员工至少有一项副业,其中一半的人是在过去两年开始的。

Those aged 25 to 34 are most likely to be involved with 37% thought to run a sideline of some kind.

那些年龄在25岁至34岁之间的人是最有可能参与其中的,37%的人认为他们会从事某种副业。

A sideline also describes an extra job you do alongside your main job.

副业同样形容你在主要工作的同时所做的额外工作。

BBC Radio 5 Live spoke to someone whose side hustle was so satisfying that it turned into her day job.

BBC广播5频道直播对话副业如此令人满意,以至于变成其日常工作的一个人。

Here is Elspeth Jackson, founder of Ragged Life, to explain why.

以下是Ragged Life创始人埃尔斯佩斯·杰克逊做出的解释。

It’s a different environment entirely because you’re leaving essentially a very regular wage that you’d get the same amount in month after month,

这是一个完全不同的环境,因为你本质上远离了一个非常规律,一月又一月所得金额相同的工资,

you can put aside savings, the same amount every month and you have that certain amount of security.

你可以把挣的钱存起来,每个月金额相同,而且你有一定数量的保障。

But now I don’t think I could go back to one of these big companies because you’d essentially be sacrificing the flexibility which is something I’ve become very accustomed to now.

但是现在我不认为我可以回到这些大公司中的一个,因为你本质上牺牲了我现在已经习以为常的灵活性。

Things have worked out well for Elspeth. But there were risks – for example, leaving behind the security- the safety – of a regular job and of course, a regular income.

对埃尔斯佩斯来说事情进展不错。但是存在风险——例如远离一份正常工作的保障——保险,当然还有固定收入。

Elspeth liked making rag rugs.

埃尔斯佩斯喜欢零散的工作。

This has given her flexibility in her life and returning to work at a big company would be sacrificing that.

这使她在生活中具有灵活性,回到大公司工作将会牺牲那一点。

That means ‘giving something up’ or ‘going without it’.

那意味着“放弃某事物”或“没有它”。

And for Elspeth, her side hustle has become a full-time job and she’s become accustomed to her lifestyle.

而对埃尔斯佩斯来说,她的副业已经成为一份全职工作,她已经习惯了她的生活方式。

It’s become familiar or normal.

它变得习惯或正常。

The BBC also spoke to Becci Mae Ford, who works some of the time for a telecommunications company to pay the bills,

BBC还与贝西·梅·福特进行了交谈,她在一家电信公司工作以支付账单,

but spends the rest of her time developing her own crafting company Ellbie Co.

但其余的时间用于开发自己的制作公司Ellbie Co。

How did she find having two jobs?

她是如何找到两份工作的?

I think it just gives me creative balance,and obviously working for the telecoms firm it gets me out the house and gets me to meet people in a social environment.

我认为它只是给了我创造性的平衡,而且显然为电信公司工作要出门,并且让我在社交环境中遇见别人。

It can be difficult to juggle the two though definitely.

虽然兼顾两者绝对很困难。

It’s definitely a grind. It’s a lot harder than people think it’s going to be.

这绝对是一种折磨。这比人们认为的要困难得多。

So Becci implies that it’s not always easy to have a side hustle.

因此,贝西暗示有一份副业并不总是那么容易。

The benefit for her is the creative balance – a good mix of doing office-based work, regular tasks and a routine, with working creatively, making things and getting pleasure from it.

对她有益的是创造性的平衡——将办公室工作,日常常规工作与创造性工作,做事并从中获得乐趣结合起来。

But juggling – or balancing these two things is difficult and she described her side hustle as sometimes being a grind – hard work, tiring and occasionally boring.

但同时应付——或平衡这两件事是困难的,她形容她的副业有时候是一项折磨人,艰苦的工作,累人而且偶尔会无聊。

But overall, it does make her happy.

但总的来说,它确实让她开心。

Now something that would make me happy is to give you the answer to today’s quiz question.

现在让我高兴的是要告诉你今天测验问题的答案了。

Earlier I asked you, according to the employee ratings website Glassdoor, which job is thought to be the best to have in the UK this year?

早些时候我问你,根据员工评级网站Glassdoor,哪项工作被认为是今年英国最好的工作吗?

Is it… a) a software engineer b) a teacher, or c) an audit manager?

是a)软件工程师,b)老师,还是c)审计经理?

Yes and I said b) a teacher – always the best job in the world!

是的,我说过b)老师——永远是世界上最好的工作!

Sadly not, Rob. Apparently, it is c) an audit manager, that is considered to be the best job to have this year.

很遗憾并不是,罗伯。显然,c)审计经理被认为是今年最好的工作。

Audit managers are responsible for organising and overseeing internal audits.

审计经理负责组织和监督内部审计。

The result was based on three factors: average annual base salary, the current number of job openings, and job satisfaction, according to ratings shared by employees on the website over the past 12 months.

根据过去12个月网站上员工的评分,该结果是基于三个因素:平均年基本工资,当前职位空缺数和工作满意度。

So sounds like an interesting job for a side hustle,but before I head off for a career change, let’s remind ourselves of the main vocabulary we’ve discussed, starting with to make ends meet.

所以作为副业来说听起来像是一个有趣的工作,但是在我改变职业生涯之前,让我们提醒一下自己我们讨论过的主要词汇,从“收支平衡”开始。

When we make ends meet, we have just enough money to pay for the things we need.

当我们收支平衡时,我们只有足够的钱来支付我们需要的东西。

Next, we mentioneda sideline which describes an extra job you do alongside your main job.

接下来我们提到了“副业“,它描述的是和你主要工作一起所做的额外工作。

Then we had sacrificing.

然后我们提到了”牺牲“。

That means giving up something important or going without something.

那意味着放弃重要的某事物或没有某事物。

Accustomed is a word to mean usual or normal.

“习惯”是意思为通常或正常的一个词。

If you get accustomed to doing something, it becomes the normal way of doing it – it becomes familiar.

如果你习惯于做某事,它就成了做某事的正常做法——它变得习惯起来。

We also talked about the expression creative balance.

我们还谈到了表达“创造性平衡”。

That describes getting the best mix of doing creative and uncreative tasks.

那形容将创造性和非创造性任务最好地结合起来。

And finally, grind describes doing something that is tiring, difficult, sometimes boring and involves lots of effort.

最后“折磨”形容的是做一些令人疲惫,困难,有时无聊并需要付出很多努力的事情。

Well this programme has not been a grind, Rob.

好吧,这个节目并不是一个折磨,罗伯。

It’s been six minutes of pleasure.

它是六分钟的乐趣。

Don’t forget you can learn more English with us on our website bbclearningenglish.com.

不要忘记你可以在我们的网站bbclearningenglish.com上和我们一起学习更多英语。

Bye for now.

再见了。

Bye.

拜。

英文来源:BBC Learning English

———END———

限 时 特 惠: 本站每日持续更新海量各大最新【内部创业教程】,一年会员只需 98 元,全站资源免费下载 点击查看详情

站 长 微 信: webprojs_com

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用 * 标注